Saturday, November 7, 2015

MYP Training in Berlin!




MYP (Middle Years Programme) is a framework that encourages students to make practical connections between their studies and the real world. The MYP is a five-year program for students 11-16 years old. Students who complete this program are said to be well-prepared to pursue the IB Diploma Programme or Career-related diploma in their high school years. 

Alright, so that's all teacher-talk. Basically the Middle Years Programme (No, this is not a typo. I am proud to be an American but the program is British so I have to type it that way) is a program of study that encourages students to make connections between their education and the real world. It aims at empowering students to think about a range of issues and ideas in every class they take at school. Now, as a trained educator, I think I already do this because that's how I was trained in graduate school and because it just makes sense. This specific framework though is something that many schools around the world are adopting. Also, there are certain guidelines for lesson-planning, grading and assessments that go along with the MYP. With all that being said, I knew I had to get trained on how to deliver this framework.

Trainings are offered in various places and times throughout the academic school year but the only one that worked for my subject area and timing was in Berlin. What a rough choice. It also helps when your friend's schedule works out, too, so you can have a travel/teacher/awesome buddy at the conference. I got my paperwork approved from my administration a few months ago (yay for professional development funds!) and last week, I got on a plane, had a layover in Amsterdam and headed to Berlin with 270+ educators from all over the place to get MYPed.


The training was 3 days long and very full-on with hands-on training, examples, etc. Thank goodness they provided good lunch and snacks! I was a good student, learned a lot and I'm ready to start implementing everything I learned. Oh and did I mention that this was my FIRST TIME IN GERMANY? Of course I had to explore a little, too. :)

Traditional super tourist traveler picture

Is this real?

Working hard: check out the view!



The food was sooo good! I ate lots of currywurst and potatoes.





The Berlin Wall!




More historical areas:
Plaza 

A pretty building

Berlin Cathedral

Checkpoint Charlie

Kaiser Welhelm Memorial Church

Memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe 

Reichtag Building 





'Til next time Europe!

No comments:

Post a Comment